Create memories that will last forever with The Magnasonic FS81, an 8mm and Super 8 film scanner. In this video, we will show you how to scan your film and transfer the video files from an SD card to a computer.
- Remove the film scanner from the box along with all accessories.
- Insert an SD card up to 32GB into the back of the scanner. A class 6 or above SD card is required to scan and save video. FS81 does not scan directly to a computer.
- Connect the power adapter to the back of the scanner and plug it into the wall.
- Press the power button (SHOW ICON) on the scanner. a. *The motor will move when turned on.
- Install your film reel onto the left reel shaft with the holes on the film closest to the scanner a. *if using Super 8 film, put the red reel adapter on the shaft first.
- Install the included 7” film reel onto the right reel shaft. a. *if using a different reel put the grey reel adapter on the shaft first.
- Feed the film along the dotted line from left to right.
- Wrap the film around the empty reel 2 to 3 times, there is a slot to hold the film in place. Hold the film in place for the first rotation.
- Open the film try by sliding the open tab to the left.
- Insert the film with the holes at the back, it should be held in place by the two white tabs on the film tray.
- Close the film tray door to lock the film in place.
- Use the toggle switch on the front of the scanner to choose between 8mm and Super 8.
- Using the main menu, adjust the Exposure (Brightness) and Sharpness.
- If the film appears to be cropped or misaligned, use the Frame ADJ option in the main menu to adjust the horizonal and vertical alignment or zoom.
- Press OK to select the size of the reel, use the left and right arrows to change sizes and press OK again to confirm your selection.
- Scanning will begin, a red dot in the upper left corners of the screen will confirm the scanner is recording. a. Monitor the first 1-2 minutes of recording to ensure the film is feeding correctly.
- To Stop Scanning at any time, press the OK button. Pressing record again after this will save to a new file.
- Watching your film: your film can be watched on the scanner using the playback option, or by connecting the USB cable to your computer and opening the file saved on the SD card. a. If the is audio in the film, it is not recorded by the FS81.
- To rewind your film back to the original reel, switch the reels between the left and right positions and feel the film along the path shown here.
Leave a Reply